Prof. Marco A. R. Mello, Dr. Habil.
Biologist with a Ph.D. in ecology, alumnus of the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, Germany. I worked as an associate researcher at the University of Ulm and as a guest professor at the University of Freiburg, Germany, and currently work as an associate professor at the University of São Paulo, Brazil. My research focuses on ecological synthesis. In other words, I want to help connect the dots between data and ideas. My primary goal is to unveil the assembly rules of ecological systems formed by species interactions. Bats have always been my main study model, although I also do research on many other organisms. Besides, I have a strong commitment to training young scientists and popularizing scientific knowledge.
- 2018 on, Associate Professor at the University of São Paulo (USP), Brazil.
- Science, philosophy, zen-buddhism, photography, and martial arts
Main academic societies
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung (alumnus)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (alumnus)
- Brazilian Bat Research Society (founder and former president, 2013-2015)
- Humboldt Club of Brazil (former vice-president, 2015-2019)
- Local manager of Moodle at IB-USP
- Member of the Council of the Department of Ecology at IB-USP
- Member of the Fire Brigade at IB-USP
- Member of the Research Committee at IB-USP
- Member of administrative committees at other universities
- Reviewer and editor for over 50 journals
- Reviewer for over 10 funding agencies
- Member of academic societies in Brazil and abroad
- Member of over 90 academic defense committees
- Member of over 20 academic selection committees
Education and titles
- 2019, Habilitation (Livre-docência) in Animal Ecology (USP)
- 2011, Postdoc (Uni-Ulm)
- 2009, Postdoc (UFSCar)
- 2006, Ph.D. in Ecology (Unicamp/Uni-Ulm)
- 2002, M.Sc. in Ecology (UERJ)
- 2000, B.Sc. in Biology (UFRJ)
I had the honor of being educated as a scientist by Prof. Elisabeth Kalko, who passed away in 2011. My work is dedicated to the memory of my great mentor and friend. Although she is not among us anymore, she will live forever in our hearts and minds. We published a special issue of Chiroptera Neotropical in honor of her memory in 2013.
Ph.D.: Mello MAR. 2006. Interações entre o morcego Sturnira lilium (Chiroptera: Phyllostomidae) e plantas da família Solanaceae. Universidade Estadual de Campinas. PDF
M.Sc.: Mello MAR. 2002. Interações entre o morcego Carollia perspicillata (Linnaeus, 1758) (Chiroptera: Phyllostomidae) e plantas do gênero Piper (Linnaeus, 1737) (Piperales: Piperaceae) em uma área de Mata Atlântica. Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro. PDF
Online portfolios and social media
In this keynote I tell the story of my scientist’s journey in Portuguese:
By the way, I’m not this guy, although I admire his work!